I wasn't planning on making this, it just came to me one day. I was lucky to have everything I needed on hand. I knocked this project out in one afternoon, it's that easy.
WHAT YOU NEED:
2 trim boards measuring 1 1/2 feet long
2 trim boards measuring 2 feet long
red paint (I just had a sample made at Home Depot) (Mine is Behr's Classic Cherry)
1. Paint your trim with the red paint. I only used one coat, because I didn't care if the wood showed through a little. The paint will look pink until it dries.
2. Measure out your chalkboard and line with painter's tape. We used Frog tape. I also used the trim pieces to measure out my chalkboard and used a pencil to mark the area.
3. Paint the area with chalkboard paint. It took us four coats. We let the paint dry 20-40 minutes in between coats.
4. Remove the tape once the paint is dry. It's okay if the paint bleeds a little, the trim will cover it up.
5. Nail in your trim. We actually used a brad nailer for this, so it went up rather quickly.
Now draw a pretty picture and you're done. We also hung up our Ikea planter rod (technical name...not). I'm really happy with the results. It turned out great for a spur the moment DIY.
Rebecca Havener, My Little Devils With Wings